Monday, November 06, 2006

Jeanne Daniels

Marijke and Evert, how we met.

Recovery from back surgery brought me to the swimming
pool of the Elkton Y.M.C.A. This was the very first
day of a new beginning. Empty pool, only one man,
swimming slow laps, like I was, water underneath,
music above, all enveloping. Amazing Grace.. the
music played that song, in Elkton MD and the man was
singing along while swimming next to me, lane by lane,
Amazing Grace, that what it was for that moment,
sunshine, music and the man singing. Not for long
though, he left for the hot tub, where I joined him a
little while later.

The conversation was slow and hesitant," You come here
often?" "No, first time and you?" "Same thing. Are you
British?" "No. I'm not. are you?" "No, I'm Dutch." "So
am I." Bill always tells me that Dutch people never
recognize each others accent, and indeed we did not.
But we did recognize that it would be fun to see more
of each other. I met Marijke in the hallway, she had
been washing her hair and showering.

So that's how it all started.

Jeanne Daniels

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home